Towards an integrated, coherent and inclusive implementation of Climate Change Adaptation policy in a region: Navarra
Coordinator: Government of Navarra
- Rural Development, Environment and Local Administration Department (Departamento de Desarrollo Rural, Medio Ambiente y Administración Local)
- Health Department: Institute of Public and Occupational Health of Navarra(Departamento de Salud: Instituto de Salud Pública y Laboral de Navarra)
- Instituto Navarro de Tecnologías e Infraestructuras Agroalimentarias, S.A. (INTIA)
- Gestión Ambiental de Navarra, S.A. (GAN)
- Navarra de Suelo y Vivienda, S.A. (NASUVINSA)
- Navarra de Infraestructuras Locales, S.A. (NILSA)
Universidad Pública de Navarra (UPNA)
Description of the project:
The main objective of LIFE-IP NAdapt-CC project is to radically increase the resilience against Climate Change of the Spanish region of Navarra. This improvement will be achieved following the principles of:
– Participation (of all the involved/interested stakeholders), supporting both co-creation and co-implementation.
– Cross-sectoriality, breaking the borders between different sectors competing for scarce resources.
– Long-term sustainability, putting the grounds in terms of regional capacities to maintain the continuity of the results
– Subsidiarity, allowing a decision-making process to be taken as closely as possible to the citizen.
– Networking, to share experiences among other regions in the whole EU-28, actively replicating successful results and taking part in global initiatives.
1.- To contribute to the execution of the Roadmap of Climate Change of Navarra HCCN-KLINA 2017-2030-2050 (Paris COP21 commitments).
2.- To fine-tune the regional capacities (structure, fora, knowledge, tools, networks, funding access…) required to fully implement the Climate Change Adaptation measures.
3.- To implement a series of actions (best practice, demonstration and pilot) in the 6 focus areas identified:
a -Climate Change Monitoring: to define indicators of climate change in Water, Forestry, Agriculture and Human Environment to establish control and alert systems to allow quick and informed decision-making processes.
b -Adaptive Management of Water: to state a management plan of water demand according to available hydrological resources result of climate change and to implement an action plan to address flooding and droughts.
c -Adaptive Management of Forestry: to define new forest growth models in the most vulnerable areas to climate change of Navarra to conserve the ecological value and improve the forest productivity.
d -Adaptive Management of Agriculture: to implement innovative techniques for adaptation to climate change of soils, use of irrigation water and proper management pasture to ensure agriculture quality and animal health.
e -Adaptive Management of Health: to define new adaptation measures associated to climate-related diseases (e.g. Asian tiger mosquito or extreme heat waves).
f – Adaptive Management of Infrastructures and territorial planning: to define adaptive measures of urban environment and housing.
4.- To multiply the impacts of the project’s solutions and mobilise a wider uptake, reaching a critical mass during the project and/ or in a short and medium term perspective after the end of the IP (raising awareness, training and disseminating)
Start date: 02/10/2017
End date: 31/12/2025
Project budget: 15,565,090 €
LIFE financial contribution: 9,339,054 €